notes and study aids on Myanmar language

Wednesday 15 December 2010

U Thuzana and Thu Mwe Hta (10)



This post presents page 628 of the chapter entitled "A record of the explanation of the leader U Sandabatha who remained behind at Thu Mwe Hta" from Myaing Gyi Ngoo Sayadaw (U Thuzana)'s biography. The chapter runs from page 619 to 629.


Vocabulary:

ကာယကံရှင် ။ person responsible for a deed or act; party most concerned
ဖွင့်ဟ ။ to speak out
ကိုင်း ။ particle prefixed to a phrase or sentence to gain the attention of the addressee (comparable to the expression 'well')
ဆင်စွယ် ။ elephant tusk; ivory
ဝင်ရိုး ။ axis; axle
တံတွေး ။ spittle
မျို ။ swallow
အားထုတ်မှု ။ determination
သာကီဝင် ။ member of the Cakya dynastic clan
ဟန့် ။ prevent or stop someone from doing or saying sth.
သပ ။ particle suffixed to a verb for emphasis

Translation:

Now the responsible person spoke out, [saying]:

"Aww... it will truly come to be. Well, well... with that, how do you want it to be, please speak. I will consider [the matter]."

"Amongst the three people who are especially included with [us] disciples, the one who speaks is called Bo Leh Shi, lord. He is the leader of a heavy weapons unit, lord. After all [of us] disciples have gathered, we will continued to work. We request for Sayadaw [you] to go back to Thu Mwe Htaa."

"Hey, eh... I don't think that it can be like that, mate. If I have already made my decision, I cannot at all reformulate it. And they invite [me to go], [but] I have no plan to go. After leaving, [I] don't have the form of an ivory axle. It's like not having the form [possibility] of swallowing spittle after it has been spit out. Eh... I want to say one thing."

"Please give [you] order, lord."

"The people of the older generation have a saying that 'The Thaung-yin Delta will become a war[zone]. The war will end there.' Afterward, it is said that 'It will be from between ethnic people.' Therefore, we built the monastery with the perspective of determination for peace in order for there not to be a war, lord."

"That is the truth, lord."

"And that is following the Lord Buddha's path. In the war between the two states of Kapila and Kaliya [who were] related members of the Sakya clan, Lord [Buddha], from the position of preventing [war], preached the truth of peace in the sky between the two states Rohini river's. The two states calmed [their] passion of enmity. Taking that as an example and with the goal having [the situation] being peaceful [I] established [myself] in the Thaungyin Delta. [I] set down the foundation of the Buddha Dhamma. If [we] following according to the Lord [Buddha] to the extreme, is it not the case that war will not be possible?"

"That is the truth, lord."

"And between ethnic people [we] do not want the the incident to intensify. Just as Lord [Buddha] rescued his Sakya relatives, I also acted for the sake of my Karen people. I acted. But, it is no longer possible now. This event has come from me. And you say you want to enter this battle until this event is finished, [so] enter. It is up to you. From my perspective...

0 comments:

Post a Comment