notes and study aids on Myanmar language

Tuesday 22 June 2010

Thein Pe Myint (2)



The following text and translation covers the page 2 of Thein Pe Myint's short story "ငွေစိန် လှေလှော်ရင်း တက်ကျိုးခြင်း", which I have scanned from page 330 of "ဝတ္ထုတိုပေါင်းချုပ်သစ်" [A new collection of short stories].


 Vocabulary:

ပိန်း ။ compact in one mass
တဲတဲ ။ nearly
အသော့ ။ hastily
ကြေ ။ to be crumpled
ဖူလုံ ။ to be sufficient
ဝတ်လုံတော်ရ ။ barrister-at-law
ဟူးဟူး ။ furiously, raging
လူပါး ။ sharp and perspicacious person
ပါး ။ sparse, not many
အရှုပ်အထွေး ။ tangle; mix-up; confusion; problem
စိမ်ပြေနပြေ ။ leisurely; at one's own time

Translation:

As soon as I entered the office I threw the case file from my hand onto the table. I hung up the big black robe on a hook. I put the turban into a flat container. My mind relaxed.

After turning on the fan I sat on a chair. While picking up and reading the newspaper, as I thought that my feet had become hot, I took off and threw aside my socks and shoes.

After that, as the shoestrings of the shoes that were lined up appropriately in the office were nearly close to breaking I thought that I had to buy new ones.

In my diary for Sunday I saw much time in the court house. After that, I took out the relevant cases from the desk drawer and hastily looked at them and made a note of which law books from home I had to read. After that, I inspectingly read the files that we not crumpled up small. I inspectingly studied the case and was as a barrister-at-law who worked so as to be sufficiently prepared.

In that way, it went to three o'clock. The sounds of the tortured hands of law clerks subsided. The sounds of the shoes of the cases' clients had quited. The lawyers in seperate adjoining offices with me had returned with no exception. From the opposite room a company's work building had closed.

I put my shoes back on. In reverse, I thought again that I needed to buy a pair of shoes.

Although I was a person who owned a house in order to live, I was not a person who owned a car. After locking the desk drawer, the beureau and the rooms I went down and walked from Bar Road (Mahabandoola Garder Road) to Fareza Road (Anawratha Road). The day was hot, but still good. However, as the wind was furiously blowing from the direction of the river, I considered that the heat wave was subsiding.

On Saturday like now, there were not many people along the way at the main police station, the high court, the main municiple office and Bar Road (Mahabandoola Garden Road). Going and coming​, there was little confusion. Therefore, I was able to walk leisurely.

1 comments:

Wagaung said...

'gyat boo' = cardboard box (hat box)
'athint htaa thaw' = kept ready
'paindan hpanat' = sandals
'thègyo' = strap
'saysay satsat' = thoroughly
'taninla ne' = Monday, not Sunday
'ahmu yone-chain mya' = case court-appointments
'let hneik set' = literally hand press machine - typewriter, not tortured hand
'hpanat than mya lè hseik lebyi' = the sound of footsteps had gone silent.
'tayauk makyan pyangya lebyi' = no one left gone home
'apyan dwin' = on the way home
'thadi ya' = to remember
Barr Street, not Bar road
Fraser Street, not Fareza Road
'athwa ala ashoke ahtway nèthi' = the traffic was less busy.

Post a Comment