notes and study aids on Myanmar language

Wednesday 23 June 2010

Thein Pe Myint (3)



The following text and translation covers the page 3 of Thein Pe Myint's short story "ငွေစိန် လှေလှော်ရင်း တက်ကျိုးခြင်း", which I have scanned from page 331 of "ဝတ္ထုတိုပေါင်းချုပ်သစ်" [A new collection of short stories].


Vocabulary:

သားနား ။ grand, impressive
ဈေးဆစ် ။ to bargain; haggle over price of goods for sale
စစ်ကဲ ။ second-in-command of a military unit; civil officer attached to the mayor
ဈေးတည့် ။ (between vendor and customer) to reach agreement on the price
အဖက် ။ an equal, peer
မောက်မာ ။ to be haughty
ဒေါဖေါင်း ။ to be be very angry; be furious with anger
ပြား ။ to spread out; scatter
ထင်းရှူး ။ pine; conifer; fir
အရန် ။ a pair
အသွင်အပြင် ။ form; appearance
ခြားနား ။ to differ
ရွေးချယ် ။ to choose, select
နှောင့်နှေး ။ to be hindered, impeded, delayed
ချေပ ။ to get revenge
အဝယ်ခြမ်း ။ purchase
ချဉ်းကပ် ။ to approach
အရပ်အမောင်း ။ stature

Translation:

When I arrived at Fareza Road (Anawrath Road) I turned left and headed towards Theingyi Market. While there were few people going and coming on the other side, on this side there were many people and their going and coming was chaotic. For the shoes that I wanted, I looked inside very large and impressive shoe shops. I liked the form, I did not like the type. I liked the rise, I did not like that string. As I did not see anything that I liked​, I left without bargaining. In that way, I crossed over Sule Pagoda Road, then Civil Servant Maung Tawlay Road (General Hsunpet Road) and such [roads]. And after that although I saw [shoes] that I liked, I was not even able to reach an agreement over the price. In that way, when I went to look in a quite large shop near to Mago Road (Shwe Bontha Road) I saw shoes with a form that I liked, a rise that I liked, a string that I liked and a type that I liked. However, the salesperson looked at me as though we were not equals and with a haughty voice said "Must I have dealings with these shoes of this type with a barrister-in-law?" In my mind I was furious and went out without buying [the shoes].

As for when I had gone well past Mago Road (Shwe Bontha Road) I could no longer see any big shoes stores. I could see little market stalls on the road which were selling twenty pairs of shoes or as much as thirty [pairs] that were spread out using pine sheeting as trays. They set up quite small pine boxes on which people were sitting, and people were sitting on separate stools, and people were sitting on the shapes of bricks from destroyed buildings and they were selling. As the hot sun was beating down, the men were wearing hats and selling and the women were holding up umbrellas and selling. The shoes from their shops did not have famous logos on them. The office clerks who went to their shops were not at all the same as a barrister like me. I could see the rural poor of different appearance who sometimes arrived in Yangon were selecting and bargaining with the poor urban workers. At the start, I found myself hindered from entering into their shop. With the feeling of revenge for the difficulty which I had not digested concerning the haughty store owner from before. I approached the proprietor of a little shop that had no purchases.

As for that man, he would have been about over thirty years old. His stature...

1 comments:

Wagaung said...

'pon' here is style.
Mogul Street, not Mago (Burmese corruption) Road
"How dare he give this look and use this tone on a barrister like me?" (inwardly furious)
'oakkhè mya go pone ywe' = bricks stacked up ('pon' here is a pile)
'makyay thaw akhè' = unresolved grudge

Post a Comment