notes and study aids on Myanmar language

Friday 6 August 2010

Thein Pe Myint (19)



The following text and translation covers the page 19 of Thein Pe Myint's short story "ငွေစိန် လှေလှော်ရင်း တက်ကျိုးခြင်း", which I have scanned from page 347 of "ဝတ္ထုတိုပေါင်းချုပ်သစ်" [A new collection of short stories].


Vocabulary:

V1-လား V2-လား ။ V again and again
ရုန်း ။ to struggle
အခဲမကြေ ။ အခဲမကျေ [?] to be implacable
အကြမ်း ။ (of behaviour, actions, looks, character, etc) violent, unrefined, rugged
ကလိမ်ဉာဏ် ။ craftiness; cunning
ချောက်တွန်း ။ get sb into trouble
အံတု ။ to match one's strength or prowess with/ against someone; contend; challenge
ချီးကျူး ။ praise; speak in honour of; speak well of
လိပ်ပတ်လည် ။ to come to understand things clearly
ကင်းစင် ။ be unblemished; be clear of
စိတ်ချလက်ချ ။ to be at ease
အတော်အတန် ။ fairly; moderately
ကျူလယာ ။ ? [jewelry?]
ပေါင်းသင်း ။ be friends; associate; marry
အကျဉ်းအကျပ် ။ difficult situation; tight corner
မျှော်ကိုး ။ look forward to and count on; anticipate

Translation:


"As for the little girl, she knows that. Therefore, she of course joined with me. Since Ba Tote knows that, he incessantly threatens me. However, I'm not one to be frightened. Although I'm not a scoundrel like them, they know that I'd dare to be more unruly than them. Therefore​ they planed to forcefully snatch away the little girl. Ngwe Sein forcefully struggled from between them and came to me. They are implacable about that. Because I'm not capable of violent ways they cunningly got me into trouble."

"Oh, it's like that. The fact that you would challenge them for this long is a praise worthy thing."

In that way, upon coming to see things clearly without worry I understood Htun Khin's unblemished record. As for Ngwe Sein who came and was unable to hire a lawyer, I could fairly understand.

"Who got you freed on a pledge? Who gave the pledge?"

"As for that, I'm grateful to Ngwe Sein, sir. She managed to get the court to give the pledge. As for the pledge, it was Ko Ibrahim from the jewelry store. Ngwe Sein was close with [him]. They knew each other for quite a long time. Therefore if she got into a difficult situation, as for me, I couldn't do anything. I couldn't do anything. I couldn't plan anything. As for Ngwe Sein she is capable of planning."

Honest and simple pride for Ngwe Sein showed up on his face.

Ko Ibrahim gave the pledge. What gratitude was Ko Ibrahim counting on for giving the pledge. Did Ngwe Sein not become intimate [with Ko Ibrahim] in order to free Htun Khin with a pledge? I was burdened to ask this to Htun Khin. If he did not know and I [asked this question], it would not be good. If I gave him this knowledge, it would not be good.

"Who provided you with a lawyer?"

"I didn't hire a lawyer, sir."

"Ah, since you were detained you could not open your shop, correct?

1 comments:

Wagaung said...

'kyanaw bet pa' = (she) took my side, meaning she got with me/was attracted to me
'chain laa chauk laa' = to intimidate and threaten
'lu maik' = tough, baddie
'maik yè' = dare to be tough
'a-khè ma kye' = lit. solid not break, unresolved grudge
'a-pyit kin sin hmu' = faultlessness, here meaning innocence
'ar ma gan' = bail
'kyu laya hsaing' = trinkets/bricabrac shop
'wun lay' = reluctant

Post a Comment