notes and study aids on Myanmar language

Tuesday 10 August 2010

Thein Pe Myint (25)



The following text and translation covers page 25 of Thein Pe Myint's short story "ငွေစိန် လှေလှော်ရင်း တက်ကျိုးခြင်း", which I have scanned from page 353 of "ဝတ္ထုတိုပေါင်းချုပ်သစ်" [A new collection of short stories].


Vocabulary:

Nလိုလို ။ rather like, rather as if, almost
ပြီးပြတ် ။ be terminated; reach completion
တန်းလန်း ။ with sb or sth clinging, hanging, trailing; without completing or finishing; while; in the middle of
ရွှေ့ ။ move or shift sth; postpone
ဆို့ ။ block; stop
အပြစ် ။ misdeed; wrong; guilt; sin; offense; defect; fault, flaw.
ကိုယ်တိုင် ။ oneself
နှိပ်စက် ။ torture
စီရင် ။ pass judgement
ပေါ ။ plentiful; abundant
ထပ်မံ ။ once again
ပိန်း ။ compact in one mass, (of colour) solid

Translation:

[And all of my thoughts] will know my good will and will help me quickly complete this case. However, there remains the most difficult job to quickly complete the case in the present situation. It's as if every court is dense with cases. Rather than the court officers having set down the account in completion, it was yet to be completed; there were many postponements.

Throughout the entire country, amongst the blockages like a blocked bottlenecks in the law courts it was the worst. And as for legal amendments coming out like the production of a big factory it was something to spin eyes of the judge and the lawyers.

Some people said faults to the judges so that the legal case was not quick. As for me, I did not see big matters to to say faults to them. With the short time sitting on the law bench one could not say that it was a little bit of work. The was the style of work in the inner chamber. One still had to take work and do it at home. One had to torture their hands and write out the judgements. In that, the external ဗဟီရ [?] work that the government ministers made [the lawyers] do was still quite abundant. We can be of the opinion that it is possible to have sympathy for each and every educated person who has to make a living by means of the law.

Like that, in the legal case as it adds up to about six months in duration since
Htun Khin was once again detained I thought that it was still okay.

In those six months I had often encountered Ngwe Sein. Although I had noted down the days of the case in my diary as for Ngwe Sein, she came to the office to remind me. When I came across the work days, outside I went back and made an appearance. As for in the days of the case, I went to the court. In her hand she had something her husband had written of other items that he needed to be brought to the jail. I knew that on Sunday at least once a week I knew that she went to the jail. As for me, arriving at Ngwe Sein's shop about once a week I made an appearance. Up to now I had not heard that Ba Tote and his group of colleagues had harassed Ngwe Sein.

Ngwe Sein was able to bring me a little present. A colour stripped specially stiched pair of shoes, a cheery handbag and such things...

1 comments:

Wagaung said...

'kyanaw (creaky end syllable) seik htin' = my guess was
'taanlaan htaa gyin' = pending
'shwea ya gyin' = postponement, deferment
'neya daga' = everywhere
'myetsi le saya' = confusing
'a-hmu ma myan gyin' = cases not being expeditious
'kyee maa thaw a-kyaung' = big reason
'a-loak twe pon ne thi' = work piling up ('pon' here is a pile/stack)
'let hneik set' = lit. hand press machine, typewriter
'a-pyin bahiya' = extra work, chores/errands
'pyinnya shin a-chin gyin hmo' = because (they were) professional people like oneself
'tho hpyint' = And so...
'thettha' = comforting, easy (also means feeling better in illness, or cheaper in price)
'tway (creaky sound)' = to meet or find

When she found me busy, she'd show up outside and leave. For court appointments she'd come to the court. (the subject of these sentences is Ngwe Sein and not the author.)

'saa saya myaa' = something to eat
'a-shein awa' = aura, presence
'cherry thaa' = cherry wood
'let kaing doak' = walking stick

Post a Comment