notes and study aids on Myanmar language

Tuesday 17 August 2010

Thein Pe Myint (28)



The following text and translation covers page 28 of Thein Pe Myint's short story "ငွေစိန် လှေလှော်ရင်း တက်ကျိုးခြင်း", which I have scanned from page 356 of "ဝတ္ထုတိုပေါင်းချုပ်သစ်" [A new collection of short stories].

Vocabulary:

လက်ကိုင်တုတ် ။ walking stick
ကြိမ်တုတ် ။ cane stick
ကောက် ။
ယှဉ် ။ to put together side by side; compete; vie
ရွက်ထည် ။ canvas, sail-cloth
ဟောဒီ ။ this
ကွဲအပ် ။ to crack
ပဲ့တင်သံ ။ echo
ထိုက်တန် ။ suitable, fit
ရင်းနှီး ။ to invest

Translation:
5

On the morning of the following day while I was returning from taking a morning walk I saw that Htun Khin had arrived at my home. Htun Khin stood up and welcomed me. Htun Khin was alone. He was making a desolate appearance. Ngwe Sein had pulled out the cherry wood walking stick that she had brought as a present and set it on the table. If Ngwe Sein was able to follow [the case], they [who were] husband and wife were going to make a ceremony of paying their respects and with the walking stick to me as a [gift of] gratitude. I put the cane stick from my hand alongside the cherry stick and set it down. While stretching out and sitting on a chair [I said]

“Sit down Htun Khin, mate. [Let us] speak freely, of course.”

Htun Khin sat down like a big doll falling apart with broken arms and broken legs

I threw onto the table the small round hat of soft material that I had put on in the morning. Next I removed and threw aside the canvas shoe and socks. After that [I said]

“Okay, how is [the situation], please speak.”

“Please read this little letter, sir.”

As for his voice, it was cracking. In that, it was the echo of the breaking of his heart.

It was a letter that was written on a loose paper that had been pulled out from a notebook.

I write to elder brother.

It is the case that because I am afraid of a tiger I depend on you, [but] you are worse than the tiger. It has come to be a life in which it is not suitable for me to be with elder brother [you].

I have set aside 200 kyat for elder brother [you] to invest. I am relieved that elder brother [you] will be freed because I spoke with the great teacher [the lawyer/narrator]. After you go to the great teacher [give him] this walking stick in an act of gratitude.

1 comments:

Wagaung said...

'kyoh pyat' = broken string (of a puppet)
'a-yoak kyoh pyat' (more normal usage) = (limp like) a puppet with broken strings
'a- wut pyaw oak-htoak waing' = a beret
'shingyi' = Ye-ngan paing U Shin Gyi (nat spirit Lord of Salt Water)
'kyaa kyauk lo shingyi koh shingyi kyaa htet soh' = depend on shingyi for fear of the tiger, shingyi worse than the tiger (expression similar to 'from the frying pan into the fire')
'ma htaik tan' = not to deserve (you)

Post a Comment