notes and study aids on Myanmar language

Monday 9 August 2010

Thein Pe Myint (24)



The following text and translation covers page 24 of Thein Pe Myint's short story "ငွေစိန် လှေလှော်ရင်း တက်ကျိုးခြင်း", which I have scanned from page 352 of "ဝတ္ထုတိုပေါင်းချုပ်သစ်" [A new collection of short stories].



Vocabulary:

ချုံး ။ reduce in size or length; summarize; make a gist; pulled down (in appearance)
တည်ခင်း ။ display things for sale
အခြေပျက် ။ (of situation, condition, composure) be disturbed; (of one's position) deteriorate; (of one's fortunes) decline
လွဲ ။ miss; miss the mark; go wrong ; be wrong
ဟန့် ။ prevent or stop someone from doing or saying sth
ထိုး ။ erect; put up
ရောင်ပြ ။ to show up
လှုံ့ဆော် ။ stimulate; exhort; egg sb on
ချော့ ။ coax; persuade

Translation:

Although I live with rules, I'm an ordinary person. Being an ordinary person, have I not violated the rule of a lawyer to not take on a case for free? As for me, [I'm] a free person; as for her she's not free as a temporary wife. As for her words that she started to say, they have just been said. It is an acceptance of gratitude. It cannot be in any special way in the house.

Her little tears were falling. As for this time she was pulled down in appearance and not crying.

"Lady friend, please consider. How hard has Htun Khin worked to be able to display things for sale at this little shop. And how hard have you helped? Accepting the ruin of that little [shop] where will the love for [your] husband arrive [what will become of your love for your husband?]?. Furthermore, although something that would disturb a person's situation may arise, it is important to be able to live so that one's situation does not deteriorate. If the situation does not deteriorate​ the person will be respected. It is easy to repair again a situation that has been ruined. Don't err in your thinking, keep the shop open. Confront those hostile guys. As for me I'll frequently come to your shop and will make an appearance for you. If I show up for you like this, obstructing them for you I will show up as much as I can. Do you understand?"

"Yes."

After she wiped her tears with a handkerchief, with a voice filled with determination [she said]

"Okay, I will do it."

"Yeah, go back. I will take responsibility so that the case is quickly finished."

While preparing to depart she [said]

"Okay"

Like that, by promising those plans I had to work hard to quickly finish Htun Khin's legal case. And in front of Ngwe Sein's little erected tray shop I would had to show up often.

I had to to apply in advance to the relevant judge in order to quickly inspect the case. And I had to coax and persuade the major clerks. And I had to apologize to the the C.P.O. And all of my thoughts...

1 comments:

Wagaung said...

'luthaa' = human being
'ya-yi maimma lut' = temporarily unattached woman
'sa htaa thaw thuma ei sagaa' = what she'd said at the start
'shi htaa bee thaa' = already there
'kyayzu gan kyayzu saa' = grace and favor, indebtedness/gratitude
'be nee nè hmya ma hpyit naing' = there was no way
'ein hma a-tu ne' = to live together in the house/under the same roof
'a-khet a-khè a-myo myo' = all kinds of hardships
'yin hsaing' = lit. chest meet, to face/confront
'choan cha ywe ma ngo ba' = did not weep vehemently
'ti khinn' = to set up (shop)
'be hma lin go chit ya yauk ma le' = how would that be loving your husband?
'a-che pyet' = to flounder, disintegrate
'hant taa' = prevent, deterr
'baan hto hsaing' = (market) stall

Post a Comment