notes and study aids on Myanmar language

Sunday 8 August 2010

Thein Pe Myint (22)



The following text and translation covers page 22 of Thein Pe Myint's short story "ငွေစိန် လှေလှော်ရင်း တက်ကျိုးခြင်း", which I have scanned from page 350 of "ဝတ္ထုတိုပေါင်းချုပ်သစ်" [A new collection of short stories].




Vocabulary:

ခြွင်း ။ omit
ရေးကြီးသုတ်ပျာ ။ in a hurry; in haste
ပူပင် ။ be worried or anxious about sth
ညှိုးနွမ်း ။ be languid; be worn-out; be faded (in appearance)
သာမန် ။ ordinary, normal
သေစားသေစေ ။ to execute [?]
ကြိုးမိန့်ပေး ။ pass a sentence of death by hanging
ချောက်ချား ။ be badly shaken; be alarmed; be agitated
ရုပ်သိမ်း ။ withdraw; retreat
ခြေထိုး ။ thwart; foil; put a spoke in sb's wheels (fig)
နို့ ။ (conj.) if it were so
ရွံရှာ ။ to fear with respect; loathe
အရိပ်အငွေ့ ။ trace; inkling; slight hint
အစွမ်းကုန် ။ utmost
ညှစ် ။ squeeze​, extort (money)
မုချ ။ without fail; surely; definitely; inevitably
သိပ် ။ keep (sth) overnight
ညှဉ်း ။ take advantage
အကြပ် ။ forcibly

Translation:

Although I was the type of lawyer who had decided that even if was true, I wouldn't even take on my father's case for free, I would have to include a little omission of this rule. If I did not freely take on the kind of case like the present one, I think that I would not even have the heart of person.
4

During the night one day, although I did not expect Ngwe Sein [to come] to my office, she appeared. (I had expected Htun Khin.) Ngwe Sein's behaviour​ was hurried. Her face was worn out with worry. Her clothing was very simple.

Since after work was the time I read the newspaper, not having her wait outside of the office I immediately called her in.

"What is it Ngwe Sein?"

Without sitting she [said],

"Ko Htun Khin has been rearrested barrister, sir."

Although ordinarily, not even speaking of arrests, even if I heard news of sentences of execution by hanging I would not be alarmed, [now] I became alarmed.

"Heh, I was expecting him. Why was he arrested?"

"Ko Ibrahim withdrew his pledge. It's because Ba Tote has thwarted [the plan], barrister, sir."

"Yeah, it's possible. If this is the case, why did Ibrahim allow himself to be thwarted? If he was strong, that would be it."

Traces of loathing appeared on her face.

"Did Ba Tote [and his associates] make threats? And as for Ko Ibrahim he's just that way, barrister, sir."

What kind [of person] is Ibrahim? I deduced that he definitely would extort this good opportunity to the utmost. And he felt embarrassed since he would have to ask her​.
However, if he did not ask it would not be finished.

"Did Ibrahim keep you overnight and take advantage of you? Did he often force you?"

She lowered her head and said

"Yes."

1 comments:

Wagaung said...

'chwin gyet' = exception (to the rule)
'lu seik ma shi' =lit. human mind not possess, inhuman
'nya ne' = evening
'che htoe' = to trip someone over, get someone into trouble
'ta-myo ba' = different sort, not what you might think
'thuma aar may ya hma daw arr na thi' = it felt like an imposition (on my part) to ask her
'ma may ma pee' = without asking it wouldn't be over
'theik hnyin tha laa' = did (Ibrahim) harass you very much?
'a-kyat kaing' = to pressure, use a stranglehold

Post a Comment