notes and study aids on Myanmar language

Saturday 17 April 2010

Dagon Taya (10)



This post covers page ten of Dagon Taya's short story "A fragrant hazy night" (မွှေးမြရီဝေသောညတစ်ည). The translation begins from the first full sentence at the top of the page and continues to the final sentence at the bottom of the page, which ends on page 11 with the words "ဝတ္ထုထဲက စကားလုံးတွေအတိုင်း တစ်သဝေမတိမ်း ကူးပြီး ချစ်သူတွေရေးတာပဲ".


Vocabulary:

တစ်နေ့က ။ the day before yesterday
ခဲ ။ particle suffixed to a verb to denote rarity, uncertainty, or tardiness in its occurrence
စွဲလမ်း ။ to be obsessed
ကိုးကား ။ to refer to an authoritative work; quote
တစ်သဝေမတိမ်း ။ exactly

Translation:

I should have become amazed.

“I am so pleased teacher. I in no way hoped [to meet you].”

“How do you know?”

“How could I not know? The picture of the famous writer U Htin Sha can be seen everywhere. Even the day before yesterday there was an advertisement of a book and picture U Htin Sha.”

“Oh, is that the case?”

“Please sit down. Let’s talk in a relaxed manner. Now it's very rare to get such a special honour of an opportunity. Please sit, please sit. It's such a pleasant moon. It's such a fragrant night.”

From within Inya Lake, one moon; from the sky, one moon. From within Inya Lake, stars; from the sky, stars; the jewels of the night.

“Amongst my circle of friends, we really like the stories of U Htin Sha.”

“Yes, I’m pleased.”

“We’re young school girls.”

“Yes, it is an age that is good to life that is young, special and new. It is an age of new advancement.”

“We are interested to read. My social circle is obsessed with the beautiful stories of U Htin Sha.”

“Thank you very much.”

"In my love stories, I often use U Htin Sha’s literature for help. When I think about my lovers, they speak in emulation of the words of dramatic speech in U Htin Sha’s stories. When writing the lovers I reference the words in U Htin Sha’s stories. My friends in this year’s grade copy according to the words in U Htin Sha’s stories and write to their lovers."

0 comments:

Post a Comment