notes and study aids on Myanmar language

Friday 9 April 2010

Dagon Taya (4)



This post covers page four of Dagon Taya's short story "A fragrant hazy night" (မွှေးမြရီဝေသောညတစ်ည).  The translation begins from the first full sentence at the top of the page and continues to the end of the last sentence which runs onto the following page with the words "အချစ်ဇာတ်လမ်းကို ဖွဲ့နွဲ့ထား၏။"

 Vocabulary:

ပယ် ။ to reject; debar; disqualify; turn down
မြတ်နိုး ။ to cherish, adore
ကြွေးကြော် ။ to cherish, proclaim
နှိမ် ။ to degrade, belittle
အကြောင်းအပေါင်းသင့် ။ to be on good terms
ပေါင်းသင်း ။ to be friends, associate
ရောနှော ။ to mingle, mix
ကပ်မြှောင် ။ to live as a parasite
ထုတ်ဝေ ။ to publish
သွက် ။ quick, active; (of sales) brisk

Translation:

When I got my story back I sent it to another magazine publishing house.  And that publishing house as well it was rejected.  I caught myself thinking that editors who proclaim to cherish literature were belittling new pens [authors].  While feeling despondent I just stayed without sending it to any publishing houses.  Although I did not send them, I wrote down many stories.

I came up with a plan.  I would befriend the editor responsible at a publishing house.  I would buy and serve him liquor.  One day while serving him to the point of drunkenness, I would try had to get my story included.

While the editor’s awareness was slipping into drunkenness, I would put my story into the hand of the type-set composer.  After the editor had printed [the magazine] he would no longer be able to do anything.  In that way, while trying to be on good terms with the editor, from the start of my story being included [in a publication] I would enter into the literary world.  I would try hard and write many stories.  I would submit one piece of writing after another.  If [my writing] was included in one magazine issue it would no longer be difficult to get another piece of writing included in another magazine.  I would be able to make friends with editors.  I would come to be able to mingle with some groups of authors.  While being like a parasite in their liquor circles, I would live so as to be able to be seen from afar as being a part of their literary society.  It would come to be known and understood that I was liked by publisher[s].

Publishers would want to publish books that could do brisk sales.  That point would be gold in relation with them.  With that gold, I would be able to open the door of the clique of fame.

With the story “I think I can hear the beating of my heart” I think that I would start to gain a reputation.  In that story I would compose about the love tales of young male and female students.

0 comments:

Post a Comment