notes and study aids on Myanmar language

Thursday 8 April 2010

Dagon Taya (3)



This post covers page three of Dagon Taya's short story "A Fragrant hazy night" (မွှေးမြရီဝေသောညတစ်ည).  The translation begins from the first full sentence at the top of the page and continues to the end of the last sentence which runs onto the following page with the words "စာပေကိုအကဲဖြတ်ရန် ဉာဏ်မရှိဟု ယူဆလိုက်သည်။"

Vocabulary:

လျှံ ။ to overflow
တက်ကြွ ။ to be enthusiastic; be active
ရည်ညွှန်း ။ to refer to, make a reference to
ရုပ်ရည် ။ looks, appearance
နွဲ့နောင်း ။ graceful; willowy; soft and alluring
အကြမ်း ။ anything rough, coarse, crude
အပေါင်းအသင်း ။ friends; comrades; colleagues
သြဘာပေး ။ to cheer, applaud, speak words of praise
ချောင် ။ corner; nook; deserted place
ကွဲအက် ။ crack
ချီးကျူး ။ to praise
ထောမနာ ။ to praise
မြှောက် ။ to raise
တချွင်ချွင် ။ ?
ပဲ့တင် ။ echo, reverberate
အချော ။ sth smooth, not rough; finished product; edited script; fair copy
အကဲဖြတ် ။ to assess; appraise; estimate; evaluate

Translation:

Amidst the overflow of noise from the clapping of hands the famous person descended from the podium. And the sound of the applause was pleasing. The sound of clapping hands was sweet to heart.

Ever since that time my spirit has been enthusiastic.

The very first story that I wrote was a piece of writing that I submitted about an incident that occurred to me. It made reference to a girl whom I fancied while I was in school. To tell the truth, that girl did not fancy me. That girl was a bright scholar and she respected bright scholars. I was not a bright scholar. In my story the girl was my girlfriend. I composed it about her beauty. I composed it so that she was more beautiful and graceful that she really was. I composed it on rough paper and showing it to my friends, they applauded.

I showed off my story in a dark corner of liquor shop. With a red face from drinking that liquor that they bought and with the sounds of cracking my story was praised.

While Maung Thi Ha, standing up and raising his glass of liquor, said “for the famous author Ko Tin Sha,” they hit the drinking glasses together.

And the remaining people struck their drinking glasses together.

Ko Phu Gaung, who was usually quiet if he was drinking, raised he glass while saying “For the birth of a new and unique piece of literature.” With the sound of classes clinking together and the hands clapping the whole room of the liquor shop echoed repeatedly.

And I sent a polished copy of the story to a magazine building. Although more than six months passed, my story did not come to be included. I caught myself being angry at the editor. I was of the opinion that the editor did not have the intellect to assess my story.

0 comments:

Post a Comment