notes and study aids on Myanmar language

Sunday 18 April 2010

Dagon Taya (11)



This post covers page eleven of Dagon Taya's short story "A fragrant hazy night" (မွှေးမြရီဝေသောညတစ်ည). The translation begins from the first full sentence at the top of the page and continues to the final sentence at the bottom of the page, which ends on page twelve with the words "တွေပါ၊ စာပေတော့ချစ်ပါတယ်၊ ဒါပေမဲ့ လေ့လာရုံကြံခါသေးတယ်၊ ဒါကြောင့်မို့လဲ ရှင့်စာတွေကို သဘောကျမိတာပါ၊ တစ်ခုတော​ မေးပါရေဦးရှင်၊ ရှင်ဘယ်လိုရည်ရွယ်ချက်တွေနဲ့ ဝတ္ထုတွေ ရေးပါသလဲရှင်".


Vocabulary:

တမ်း ။ suffix denoting reciprocal agreement
အသည်းခွဲ ။ to be heartbroken
တုန်း ။ particle suffixed to verbs to denote continuing action or state (equivalent in usage to the adverb "still")
ညှီ ။ to smell rank
စော် ။ to smell bad
အချောင် ။ without exerting effort
ကျန ။ to be exact; to be properly done
ရင့်သန် ။ (of mind) grow in strength; mature.

Translation:

"Please stay. Please ask. As sister was saying about the lovers..."

"Oh... that? In my group there are many lovers. One person, forty or fifty people. Some people don't dance. So... Let us play to break our hearts as U Htin Sha wrote in a story."

"In my story the main character said that."

"Yes sir. Our social group really likes U Htin Sha's characters. [My] strength falls. We try hard to become like [that] in this [story]. After reading U Htin Sha's literary stories, we young girls get the experiences of breaking hearts. We get enough experience."

"Yes, I happen to take pride, but..."

"Now, please let me submit sir, that it is a special merit to be able to meet with a great writer. Please give me permission to make use of this great opportunity. It is very happy to have our hearts are broken sir. Please don't speak. It smells rank."

"I am very pleased, but..."

"We are very pleased with U Htin Sha. And I broke a heart and now I am able to be light without exerting effort sir."

"Yes."

"I am so obsessed with your writing. The truth is that it's not that we don't yet know anything. It's not that we haven't yet had life experiences. It's not that we are yet to experience exactly the flavour of literature. It is still the start. It's not that I still have to mature in intelligence to able to discern between good and bad. [Or] ages that still don't know what is true of artistic skill. I love literature. But I still have a plan only to study. Therefore, I take pleasure in your writing. Please let me ask one thing sir. Sir, how do you write stories with intentions?"

0 comments:

Post a Comment