notes and study aids on Myanmar language

Sunday 18 April 2010

Dagon Taya (12)



This post covers the final pages (numbers twelve and thirteen) of Dagon Taya's short story "A fragrant hazy night" (မွှေးမြရီဝေသောညတစ်ည). The translation begins from the text "... ... ... ... ..." at the top of page twelve and continues to end of the text on page thirteen.



 

Vocabulary:

ချီးမြှင့် ။ to award someone
မြှောက်စား ။ to promote, favour
ကိုး ။ marks an utterance as exclamatory
ကင်း ။ to keep away from
ခြယ်လှယ် ။ to adorn, decorate
ကျမ်းဂန် ။ a literary work of classical standard
တည်ငြိမ် ။ to be serence, calm, tranquil
ပူဇော် ။ to worship, make a devotional offering
ပယောဂ ။ instigation; deed; handiwork
မှေး ။ (of eyelids) close partially
တိုး ။ softly
ဆည်းဆာ ။ twilight (especially evening twilight)
အတန် ။ sufficiently; little; somewhat
ဆဲ ။ swear at; revile; vituperate
ဆိို ။ berate; scold

Translation:

"... ... ... ... ..."

"Oh... have you not thought of those when writing stories? In that case, you writers don't have a duty to the reader. That's just as well, isn't it. As you have now become a famous writer, [you]'re still unable to know anything about the age group that raises and promotes [you]! As for the truth sir, we keep away from life, we are pure. Therefore, we can accept your medicine. Your decorating can be easily accepted."

"Ah, You have bought and read! Because you have bought and read, my stories are being printed."

"It's like that sir. We were of the opinion that when you are writing on the purity with the printed word, you are printing a classic literary work. Please let me appologize."

"Have you not read any criticism?"

"As for us, as we are still young we still don't have knowledge that can be critical sir. After the war, we were young people who became adults in a great era that had no peace. As for education, it is still not tranquil. Because it is distant to attend education even just to be able to read I am still having to exert not a little effort."

"And now are you becoming a critic?"

"As for now, thank you sir. Now you teach me to be able to read, to be able to criticise. For this sir I am pleased. I still want to pay my respects to you. While I see you."

"Mamme."

"Won't you please give my permission to pay my respects to you sir. I [ ... ] to you with my body that you destroyed by your handiwork."

"... ... ... ... ..."

The aura of the moon came to be red. On the water in was filled with the colour of young flowers. And while the birds were opening their partially closed eyelids, we had already spoken softly. And the faces of the stars slept.

(၃)

With a feeling of pain I who was walking each street home in the twilight of the morning quietly knocked on the house door. From inside no sound could be heard. Once again I knocked.

When I heard a slight sound I could hear the sound of footsteps from inside. I could hear. I would hear the sound of my wide cursing and berating me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment